Friday, October 23, 2009

Alimony and Maintenece in Egypt

After reading "The Lawsuit" by Naguib Mahfouz i went on and researched the laws and rights of women receiving alimony or maintenance and this is what i found:

This law has given to the first wife the right to divorce without
proof of damage, if she requested to do so within a year from
the date she knew the new marriage. The new wife has the
same right if the husband lied about the another marriage so
as the husband who wants to marry another would be honest
to face the situation and divorce his first wife if she wishes so
without the need to prove the damage.
According to this law, the wife is punished if she disobeys her
husband by losing her right to alimony unlike the previous law
that required the police to force the implementation of the rule
of obedience.
The law also stated the independence of the divorced wife in the
marital home until the end of the custody period, unless the
husband provides alternative accommodation for her.

This is the most interesting thing that i found I believe that in the book Naguib might have fictionalized the alimony right to the woman of his " The Lawsuit" book though im not 100 percent sure. But times have changed and so have the laws, specially in Egypt. But i will point out the the laws and rules in Egypt regarding alimony and woman rights after marriage changes depending on your religious background. The one above which explains some of the notions and laws given to women after matrimony i believe is the Islamic laws and rules not the chrisitan though i might be mistaken. I just found it so interesting that in the short story " The Lawsuit" the women was granted pretty much all that she asked for which i found preposterous and sad. So i did a little research.

3 comments:

  1. I am writing a research paper over "The Lawsuit" by Naquib Mahfouz. I am searching for two periodicals and one critical book to use as references. Does anyone have an idea where I can locate these references? I have searched the internet, telephoned book stores, etc. and have had no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally found great post here.I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.Quality posts is the crucial to invite the visitors to visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing. Revisão de Alimentos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. Valor da Pensão

    ReplyDelete